Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bike/Barge part one





Anne and I walked our luggage over to the barge yesterday to drop it off and then spend a few hours of down time in the Amsterdam library that is on the wharf. It is a beautiful, modern library with a nice café (at which I got two latte macchiatos). Anne took a great shot of the Amsterdam harbor from the steps of the library. We took a ride with our new tour to get acquainted with our bikes and bicycling tour protocol. We have fourteen people in the group, three of whom are primarily French-speaking; the rest are English-speaking. Our guide, Jacob, grew up in Holland and knows a little bit of lots of languages. Everyone has done a good job of trying to help Jacob, and each other, with the communications. The other pictures I have are of: our barge with the bicycles on the adjoining ramp, our bicycle ride to our current location (Volendam) and me trying strike up a conversation with some lambs (I was unsuccessful). FYI, one of my readers asked for the price in Holland. It is the equivalent of $10.00 a gallon. So, no whining, you Americans!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Reads like you're having a great time. I've been following, but only figured out how to "follow" just now. Will want a slide show when you return!

Anne Symonds said...

Yes, ma'am! :)